As a homeowner, it’s important to be aware of potential plumbing issues that may arise during the summer. With increased water usage, warmer temperatures, and possible visits from family and friends, the chances of a plumbing problem occurring are even higher this season. Join your experts at Pickerington Plumbing & Drain as we discuss the most common summer plumbing problems.
OUTDOOR COMMON SUMMER PLUMBING PROBLEMS
1. OUTDOOR FAUCETS, SPRINKLERS, & HOSE PROBLEMS – Let’s first discuss the typical plumbing issues that occur outdoors. During the summertime, outdoor plumbing components like spigots, sprinklers, and hoses can experience issues, especially if they are older components. If minor problems are not detected and resolved, the hot summer temperatures and increased water consumption can exacerbate the issues, resulting in ruptured underground pipes or flooding in your basement or yard. To avoid big plumbing disasters, it’s important to regularly check your hoses, sprinklers, fixtures, and faucets for any visible damage, such as cracks or leaks. So, if you find any issues, be sure to replace or fix them right away.
2. SEWER LINE BACKUP PROBLEMS – Now, let’s talk about sewage. In the summer, sewer lines tend to get clogged due to higher usage and various other reasons. Of course, this is an unpleasant situation to deal with. If you suspect your sewage line is having issues, watch out for signs such as foul smells, gurgling noises, clogged drains or toilets, and backups, and if you have already identified an issue, please contact us. We’ll take care of the dirty work for you and get everything back in working order.
INDOOR COMMON SUMMER PLUMBING PROBLEMS
1. LEAKY FAUCET PROBLEMS – Dealing with leaky faucets is frustrating! They waste water and can cause bigger problems if left unattended. Fixing the problem now is important to save water and prevent future issues from evolving. Tightening the fixture or replacing the washer often solves the problem, but in some cases, the whole faucet fixture may need to be replaced. So, be sure to act quickly and fix the drip as soon as you notice it.
2. CLOGGED TOILET PROBLEMS – Older plumbing systems can experience clogs in the summertime due to temperature changes and increased humidity levels. This is caused by rusting, corrosion, and mineral buildup on drain lines, which can lead to clogged toilets. It is recommended to seek professional assistance with these complicated clogs, as they can cause broken pipes from pressure buildup.
Another thing to bear in mind is that during the summer, kids are at home more, which can increase water usage in the daytime. Therefore, it’s important to check your toilets for cracks or leaks to avoid expensive repairs caused by small issues that become bigger problems.
3. LOW-WATER PRESSURE PROBLEMS – During this season, low water pressure is a common problem that occurs due to changes in regional water levels or mineral buildup in pipes. If you are facing low water pressure, it is advisable to contact a professional plumber as soon as possible.
4. WATER HEATER PROBLEMS – If your water temperature is lukewarm or not heating up at all, your water heater may be the issue. High summer temperatures can actually strain your water heater and cause cracks or damage. Sediment buildup could also be the culprit, and your water heater may just require flushing. Remember, hot water is just as important in the summer as it is in the winter. Whatever the case, feel free to give us a call, and we’d be happy to come and diagnose the issue for you and get your hot water back up and running once again.
5. WASHING MACHINE PROBLEMS – It’s common for washing machines to encounter issues like clogged pipes or hoses, corrosion, and broken seals during this season, causing damage to your washing machine. So, please make sure to inspect your washing machine regularly for leaks, corrosion, or any other damage.
7. DISHWASHER AND GARBAGE DISPOSAL PROBLEMS – During this time of the year, there may be more opportunities for household gatherings. Please remember to only dispose of drain-safe foods in your garbage disposal. It can be tempting to throw things down the kitchen sink in the midst of all the activity, but a clogged garbage disposal and sink is not something you want to deal with. Additionally, avoid overloading your dishwasher as this can cause clogging from food and other particles. By disposing of your food correctly and not overloading your dishwasher, you can help ensure everything runs smoothly throughout the summer.
At Pickerington Plumbing & Drain, we aim to offer excellent customer service with top-notch quality work on every job. We are passionate about providing our customers with an exceptional experience and exceeding their expectations with our workmanship.
Our goal is to help you have a stress-free summer, and we are fully equipped to handle all your plumbing needs and concerns. Call Pickerington Plumbing & Drain today at (614) 350-1955, or schedule an appointment online now by clicking here!